Thursday, July 21, 2011

REVIEW: Tarte Lights, Camera, Splashes! Mascara

Hello my Funky Readers,

I'm long overdue with this review, I think I had photos taken AND edited (let me hear you do a collective GASP now) for at least two weeks... but I have to admit that I find it very hard to write reviews. Because everyone is different, and what works for me wouldn't not work for you. That's why I rarely review makeup, and try to stick to stuff that either work... or don't. Like makeup removers and face creams. Oh wait, just talked myself into a corner, face creams could be different for anyone out there! Oh well... guess I'll have to start reviewing makeup items too now.

Today I give you Tarte's Lights, Camera, Splashes! mascara which I got in the gift set that my brother got me for Christmas. Sadly I don't know if Tarte is available in UK... so to all my UK readers, I'm sorry!!! This is a sample size by the way.


What they say: 
Lights, Camera, Splashes! Waterproof Mascara
What it is:
A waterproof lengthening, curling, volumizing, and conditioning mascara.

What it does:
Tarte Lights, Camera, Splashes! 4-In-1 Waterproof Mascara's waterproof formula gives you the bombshell lashes you love, and is guaranteed to stay put through rain, sweat or tears.

What it is formulated WITHOUT:
- Parabens
- Sulfates
- Synthetic Fragrances
- Synthetic Dyes
- Petro-Chemicals
- Phthalates

What else you need to know:
This mascara contains Skinvigorating™ ingredients such as beeswax, a natural waterproofing agent, mineral pigments, known for their soothing and softening properties, and carnauba wax, an emollient wax that ensures smooth application.
Size: 0.24 oz

Black:
Isododecane, Aqua, Pentaerythriyl Hydrogenated Rosinate, Cyclopentasiloxane, PVP/Eicosene Copolymer, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Polybutene, Cera Alba, Cera Carnauba, Alcohol, Polyquaternium -10, Phenoxyethanol, Iron Oxides (CI 77499).



What I say: 
First of all, I would have never bought this mascara for two reasons: 1.  It's waterproof, and after years of wearing waterproof mascara I realized I don't care for them! Mascaras never run on me (even in high heat), I don't go swimming in them, I don't go to the gym in makeup, when I cry I don't care how I look  and I've heard that they also very bad for your lashes. So I'm using it because I got it as a gift in a gift set, which I had little control over. 2. The price, $19 is a little steep for me when I can get a nice mascara for under $10.

But the packaging, oh the packaging! I'm glad that I've never saw it in full size in person, otherwise my above "never" would have turned into maybe.  And now that I spy that Tarte has a regular version too.... but the packaging is not as cute :(

So aside from this mascara being waterproof I am actually very impressed with it! Although there is nothing special about the wand, I don't know what is this "patented dual-wand technology" they are talking about because by looking at it you won't see anything different from any other mascara wand on the market (that are not those silicone type wands I mean).



But when I apply it, this is where I can see the difference! The wand is actually pretty long and narrow, so it is able to coat almost the whole length of my lashes. Even the bottom ones are not as big of a problem, as I usually have with other mascaras, because this wand is narrow enough to coat them without messing up. I love natural but dark look to my lashes, so I only apply one coat of mascara (by one coat I mean I keep applying it while it still wet. Does that count as one coat? I always think that 2nd coat means applying mascara after 1st coat completely dried, and I rarely do that). This mascara doesn't clump (love, love, LOVE!!) and makes my lashes look oh so long, and dare I even say full? The thing is, I do have long lashes.... you just can't see them because they are so light, so I need something extra to help them show up. I wear glasses, and my eyelashes actually touch the glass!!!!! How cool is that? A little annoying that I have to wait until mascara is completely dry before putting glasses on, but I think it's a minor thing.

I think it's also decent with delivering a curl too, although I think my eyelashes are naturally curly so somebody with straight lashes will have to comment on that. As far as their conditioning claim goes, I don't know... by the time I'm done trying to remove it I bet all the conditioning properties are going out the door.

Please excuse my left eye (on your right), and what looks like mascara failing to deliver. It is not, it is Lyuba who is failing to apply the mascara just as well on the left eye. I always, always, always have trouble applying mascara to my left eye and I'm incredibly jealous of anyone who can! I resigned myself to forever have uneven eyelashes, but thankfully no one can see it from far away and those who do get close enough, generally don't care :P After all, I can always use fake eyelashes for a uniform look! Or I can just practice, practice, and practice till I get the left eye right too!

The wear is good too, if there was any fallout I didn't notice it. I usually wear makeup for 10+ hours, and when I was taking it off everything was still there. It does stay!

Overall I'm very pleased with this mascara, it delivers what it says it would (lengthening, volumizing, and even curling) at least for me. Sorry Tarte, but I still won't buy it on its own, but I wouldn't mind getting it in a gift set again. I would recommend it to anyone who has fair lashes like me and wants them to stand out, and who is not afraid of waterproof mascaras.

Available from Tarte and Sephora for $19.

Have any of you tried this mascara? What do you think? 

~ Lyuba

3 comments:

  1. It makes your eyelashes look GORGEOUS!! :) I'm not a fan of waterproof mascaras either though, but I'm going to have a look at the regular version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha they are pretty scary actually ^^
    And we're lucky to not need 'em =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vintage Makeup, thank you :) If you do pick it up, I will look forward to review. I don't have an easy access to Tarte here in UK, I have to order online but what's fun in that? I want to see it in PERSON!

    MakeupbyThess, wait what is scary lol? At first I thought you were talking about my lashes... but then I thought maybe you meant waterproof mascara lol? And then I remember that you were talking about eyelash curlers on your blog! DUH! :)

    ReplyDelete